On Sunday morning we're starting a sermon series in the gospel according to Mark. It would be brilliant to pick up your Bible and read Mark cover to cover. Even better, read it from cover to cover twice. Or read it once for yourself, and then listen to a good audio Bible (The Complete NIV Audio Bible: Read by David Suchet). Don't worry about understanding all the details; the aim is simply to increase your familiarity with Mark and to help you notice some of the big repeated ideas.
When you've read Mark cover to cover, just for fun, here are a few quiz questions*
1. Who calls Jesus the 'Messiah' or the 'Son of God'?
(there is more than one correct answer)
2. Complete the verse: 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must...'
3. The number twelve crops up a few times in Mark.
What different things are there twelve of in Mark's gospel?
4. Which of the following is not found in Mark's gospel?
(a) 'But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.'
(b) 'Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.'
(c) He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few people who were ill and heal them.
5. List all the animals mentioned in Mark's gospel (more than you think!)
*quiz questions are from the book Dig Deeper into the Gospels